29 May 2008

just touched down in london town

So, I've been in London for about a day now. Tres exciting, I know. What have I done since getting here...um...tried to take a nap at Richard's (failed), fell asleep at Riddick's house while he was cooking dinner, fell asleep at Richard's this afternoon while it was sunny and woke up to rain. That's it for the most part...

Well, no, there's been a bit of eventfulness, I suppose--mostly food-related. Riddick cooked Rachel (another American who did study abroad at UCL) and me shepherd's pie, which I'd never had before:

SHEPHERD'S PIE
potatoes
butter
milk
'mince' (ground meat)
onions (& spring onions)
port

Boil potatoes; mash with butter and milk.
Fry up onions, add mince, combine, add port, simmer for a bit.
Layer meat/onions on bottom of casserole dish; spread potatoes on top.
Put in oven until potatoes crisp up a bit.

It was surprisingly quite good! I missed British food.

Today, Richard and I went to Waitrose and did our food shopping for the next few days. Grownup! We're splitting dinner duties (hi, old married couple.) Tonight I made the bucatini all'amatriciana Chris and I used to make all the time at Columbia, and it was a success...and fairly inexpensive to boot. Crucial.

Tomorrow is a big day--apparently I'm going to the Globe with Richard, Riddick, and Richard's parents to see A Midsummer Night's Dream, and then to Charlotte's for a dinner and Sex and the City date. Then, of course, Flatmate Bunny will be in town on Sat. and we're going to look at our flat in Stokey! Exciting, this.

For now, I ought to be getting ready--we're going to a party tonight in way-North London thrown by a hipster Welsh kid. Hopefully it'll be fun--I'm on an antibiotic, so I can't drink, and I'm a bit frightened of going to a British party sans alcohol. Well, we'll see...



View from Richard's window (complete with sign for the brothel downstairs.) It's really rainy.

2 comments:

Madeline said...

Oy! Glad you landed safely. And have a blog!

ehobbit said...

Thanks for the blog updates!

lol Shepherd's Pie was this huge staple of my childhood diet - I'm surprised you've never had it before!

Take care!