Since we last spoke, I've not reeeeally been up to much. (Though typically I neglected to mention the Notting Hill Carnival--like the West Indian Day Parade in NYC, but with 'soundsystems'--speakers--all around the streets blasting reggae and open pot/Red Stripe indulgence.) I've been home (diners, mall); to Florida (thrift shops, ocean); and to NYC (gin & tonics on the roof.) And now I'm back.
I'd not seen Julie in weeks, and given that she is one of the most fun people I know this was a massive error on both our parts. Last night she invited me along to, and I quote directly, "a friend's friend has a licence for his living room and has booked some bands to play", in Dalston no less. So she came up to Stokey for dinner and we headed to the Jazz Bar to convene her new flatmate Vanessa, her former coworker (and Dalstonian) Mary, and (eventually) her friend Tom who was the aforementioned friend. So this space? Was AMAZING. It was basically a 2-level house, the top with a bar, couches and armchairs, and balconies that overlooked the kitchen downstairs, where there was a stage. The lighting was stunning. Drinks were 2.50 for a double spirit & mixer, or 4-5 for a cocktail. The bands were kind of mediocre (though Julie, Tom and I did have a bit of a dance to the last one anyway.) But the people! The people were brilliant. Apparently the theme was 'dress like a lady,' as about half of the men were dressed in full-on bear-drag: unshaven, beards etc, and wigs, stuffed chests, even our personal favorite in a kimono and handlebar moustache. We met a ton of really nice people and chatted to them, played the (probably very rude) age guessing game, and, of course, became fully committed to returning for their Halloween party. It is going to be, as they say, SICK.
It's amazing nights like these that are going to make it really hard to leave London.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment